Definition Of Blood components diseases, Aids And Importance.
In this mini course, I am going to cover the following topics In details:
- Definition of blood
- Components of blood
- Diseases that affect our blood blood
- Importance of blood in our body
What is Blood ?
Blood is the liquid substance that circulates in the body, taking food materials round the of the body. It is the red liquid that comes out when we have a cut in our body. In fact, blood is the life of the body.
Care should be taken, especially when handling sharp objects or working on machines that can inflict a serious injury on the body. When there is blood shortage in the body, a patient can die, if necessary steps or majors are not taken.
Components Of Blood ( Composition )
Blood is made up of the following important Things;
- Red Blood Cells
- White Blood Cells
Now let’s go deep.
- Red Blood Cells : They are numerous and contain red respiratory pigment called haemoglobin, which takes up oxygen from the lungs to form oxy-haemoglobin. Therefor, it is the red blood cells that carry oxygen from the lungs to other parts of the body. Red blood cells are produced in the red marrow of large bones.
2. White Blood Cells
They are less numerous, and larger in size than the red blood cells. They are formed in the bone marrow and lymphatic tissues. They protect the body against diseases.
They are tiny cells produced in the red bone marrow. They prevent loss of blood when there is a cut or wound on the skin, by allowing the blood to clot.
This is the liquid portion of blood. it makes up 60% of the total volume of blood. It has about 90% of water, with Digestive soluble materials such as proteins, glucose and salts.
Blood Vessels ( Pipes like )
Blood Vessels are tubes through which blood moves around the body. They are ; Arteries, Veins and capillaries.
- Arteries : These are blood vessels that carry blood away from the heart. That is, blood flows from the heart to all parts of the body through arteries.
- Veins: These are blood vessels that carry blood from other parts of the body to the heart.
- Capillaries: These are the tiny network of blood vessels that connect the veins to the arteries. They carry blood between arteries and veins.
Importance Of Blood ( Functions Of blood )
- Blood is the basis of life
- It keeps us warm by circulating heat round the body.
- The burning of soluble food substances by oxygen, which later releases energy to the body takes in the blood.
- Blood is the transporting medium in our body. It carries oxygen and digested food to all parts of the body.
- It also carries waste products from the cells to excretory organs.
- Blood also protects the body from diseases. We will stay healthy, only if our blood is in good condition.
Some Patients with lost Blood Receiving replaced Blood.
Some Diseases That affect Our Blood System ( Blood Diseases )
This is a disorder that arises as a result of a shortage in the red blood cells. The shortage of the blood cells may be due to lack of iron ( a mineral ) in the body, destruction of blood cells by malaria parasites or loss of blood during menstruation.
It is an inherited or genetic disease of the blood cells. It is due to the replacement of soluble normal haemoglobin, which has a high attraction for oxygen, with less soluble abnormal haemolobin which has a markedly reduced for oxygen.